Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Vegan. No way.

Here's the deal.

I skimmed a book in the bookstore earlier today called Skinny Bitch. And, apart from being funny and frank (which I like) it also promotes a vegan diet (which I don't like.)

Not because I believe veganism is wrong. How could one argue that? But because I LOVE MEAT. I love eating it. And I don't want to be told I'm a fool to like it. Or eggs. Or dairy.

I know, I know. I've been raised with the propaganda slogan "Beef. It's what's for dinner." And I've bought it, hoof, line and sinker. But MAN. Meat is goooooood. It's tasty. And so is cheese. And so are fresh eggs from my friend Shelly's chickens. Scrambled with a dab of butter. Mmmmm...

I think the whole thing - veganism - makes sense. Don't get me wrong. I just don't want to be right.

It makes sense that meat should not be a part of every meal, every day. If we were still hunter-gatherers, we would not have the luxury of freshly killed (or even sun-dried) buffalo, or venison, or what have you. That makes sense. But sometimes, right? Sometimes, you would eat meat.

As I try to foster better eating habits for myself overall, I make sure not to over-indulge in red meat, and I try to keep any portions of any meat I do have right-sized. But I will have meat. Chicken. pork, beef, buffalo, venison, turkey, rabbit. I will eat that stuff right up. And even though so many people have "seen the light" I honestly cannot imagine that being me. If you are a vegan or vegetarian who has found happiness in your meatlessness, I truly am happy for you. And I will prepare vegetarian selections to enjoy right along with you (don't have a handle on vegan dishes, but I can learn.) But, when you come to my house, be prepared. Meat is in full effect on the premises. And it gets ett up.

1 comment:

Chad said...

A couple of years ago they had a Chili Cook-Off at work. I entered my famous Vegetarian Chili. One of the judges looked into my bowl and said, "Hey! That's not vegetarian!"

I replied, "Yes, it is! I knew him his whole life and he never ate meat ONCE!"

Some people have no sense of humor.