Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Reading thru the archives

Wow.

My friend Lisa and I have been talking about doing a little writing project together. Let's just say that we figured out that we have a collection of similar material and we think it might all add up to something good. So, I went tripping through my writing archives today and whooo boy.

I am SO glad I'm not dating any more. Why do women torture themselves over men they have no business being with? I have a few "letters" I wrote to someone who did not love me like I loved him. These letters were never meant to be be read by him. Just to keep me from calling him or saying things I couldn't take back. I'm glad I have them. It's a great foil to what I have now with Lee. Not because I think we live a bliss-a-minute existence, but because I've never felt the need to write him a letter full of things I can't tell him!

Also, I found an IM coversation I copied and pasted into a document* from someone I'd met when I had a profile on Nerve.com over four years ago. Literally, four pages of IM conversation later, we ended up meeting for coffee, closing the place, then going back to his apartment where we made out all night long and then I was stuck at his place when my old bessie blazer wouldn't start during the blizzard that had begun. (For Denverites, this was the 2003 blizzard, eclipsed only recently by last winter's snow frenzy.) We saw each other a couple other times but it really didn't go far. I've always wondered how he ended up - he was a bit unsettled here in D-town - and when I saw his handle again from the IM, I remembered how unique his name was and I looked him up.

I googled a past internet date. Does this qualify me as a stalker?? What will Lee think? (I've got a lot of embarrassing things on my husband so he'd best not make fun.) Anyway, I found this blast from the past pretty quickly as he has a blog. I intend to send him a note to say hello. From what I've read, he's back in Chicago and very happy indeed. Which really is good to see. Because, now that I've said how happy he seems, I'll also say that when I say he seemed "unsettled" what I really mean is he seemed borderline suicidal.

Anyway. There's nothing much to this, other than to say that I want to email him to say, yay you! Great blog! But, honestly, I don't remember how we left it. I don't think we had any kind of argument. I think we just stopped calling one another. Which is a mutual thing, so that's good terms, right?

Is finding someone's very public blog the modern-day equivalent to running in to someone at the grocery store?

*Please tell me I'm not the only one who saves IM conversations. Am I really weird and creepy?

No comments: