Sunday, August 19, 2007

elaborate dream

I had an elaborate dream last night, and when I awoke, I felt as if I'd slept for days. In a good way.

Can't verbalize all of it, but one part I can retell is this: My friend and her daughter (real life people, not dream life people) played a duet. The little girl played the drums and the mom played the piano. (I don't think either of them play an instrument in real life, but I could be wrong.) And the little girl had this simple rhythm she was keeping. It wasn't just rat tat tat tat, though. It involved a roll, so it was more like: rat-a-tat tat, rat-a-tat tat. And I was very impressed by her consistency. And the mom played sort of a jazzy, slightly avant-garde melody. They were playing for me. To show me what the little girl could do. And I was beaming. Partly because I wanted to encourage the little girl, but partly because it was thrilling how consistent she was. It wasn't robotic. It really was musical. And then, the mom began to slow the melody she played on the piano, in a ritard, signifying the end of the song was near. She raised her eyes to her child, as if to say, "Remember? Here's the way we end together." And the little girl dutifully slowed, letting her mom lead the new rhythm, but complementing it perfectly. And they reached their end together, with the mom hitting one last piano key. And it was so beautiful.

I woke up ready to walk the dogs.

No comments: