Tuesday, September 28, 2010

For the love of all that is food

I've been eating ANYTHING that fits in my mouth. And I've been wishing (as if I have no control over these matters) that I could just clear the slate and start over with my habits. I've done it before (at least twice), but it seems that this proposition gets harder every time.

Enter: my pal C, who, on a trip to Aspen to celebrate our pal Julie's birthday, got us all geeked up to do a Reset. Man. Three girls can work themselves into a frenzy for just about anything. And I paid money for this strange form of torture.

This is my 2nd of five days, and if I don't run screaming to the movies for popcorn first, (CRAVING. Hard) I can tell by my body's reaction that there really is the potential for a reset because it is clear that I'm in the throes of withdrawal, here.

Headache? Check.
Irritation? Check.
The shakes? Check.

It's disturbing that, by the way I eat, something that should be so simple as food, repast, sustenance, fuel, nourishment, has instead become a full-blown chemical addiction. And let's not even get into the emotional addiction part.

I love food. LOVE it. Love to grow it in my garden. Love to prepare it for my family and friends. Love to eat it. Here's hoping a little time away from it will help me put it in a much healthier context. Because it's true that you can love something so much that it hurts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahh, now I've read the full entry! Much better -- although now I'm hungry again.