Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Remember that time when I was all addicted?

Exactly one week ago, I couldn't imagine how I would make it through the rest of the week. I pictured myself, lying in an alley, passed out with an empty Lamar's Donuts box over my face and the awful stench of failure surrounding me.

But I did it, I went the week (with a minor adjustment to make room for life on Thursday night). The reset ended Friday evening and then I was released into the wild, into a world of ALL THAT FOOD, and you know what? Still towing the line. I've been preparing my meals, planning my day, walking past the kitchen at work which smelled suddenly of bacon and mac n' cheese all the time (eff you, office mates), and still I'm really doing a-ok. I did indulge in three vodka sodas at the LUPEC Crush Party, but that doesn't count.

Everyone knows the clear liquor doesn't count, right?

Anyhoo. I don't think I'm cured, by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that I can see so clearly now just how much I was shooting up with carbs. There are things in my kitchen now that only uber "with it" people know how to prepare: bulgur wheat, couscous, brown rice. Turns out, all you do is add hot water!

Okay, I knew that. But honestly, I thought it took a genius to cook well enough to make that stuff taste good. Turns out, anything tastes good after a week of not eating!

Okay, that's not really true. Found out not to ever EVER cook mushrooms in lime juice. (It was an accident.)

But seriously, people. Good food. It's worth the effort to reach past the Nutritional Industrial Complex and get your hands on some. I've been hot on the trail since reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, which inspired me to grow a garden. But I think I was missing a major point: You can't really get the most out of real food if you're still also eating so much of the fake crap. But now, because I can feel a physical lightness, a clearheadedness, I'm a believer with a whole new fervor. (Don't worry, I don't have to talk about it at parties if you don't want to.)

Plus. Over six pounds gone and counting. Come on. I get to learn how to cook new recipes AND lose weight? Hey. Know what we're having for dinner tonight? Filet mignon.

Lamar's Schlamars.

No comments: